Monday, April 18, 2011

The BASICS

You saw the SAVINGS, right?? How totally siked about saving are you? Before you jump in and think that you are going to save 50% right away, you really need to know some BASICS. I've done the leg work for you, so hopefully it will make it a little easier.

{1} Maufacturers publish coupons a couple of different ways. They usually come in the Sunday paper. I know you've heard of them. RedPlum, Smart Source, and Proctor and Gamble (about once a month).

{2}Some coupons come in a form printed at the register, called Catalina Coupons. These are coupons that you can use on future purchases and usually have an expiration date. Midwest, you might get them from Safeway, Target, Albertson's, CVS, Walgreens, and Family Thrift. East coast, you might get them from Food Lion, Giant, Safeway, Harris Teeter, Krogers, Walgreens, Target, CVS, and Farm Fresh. (IF you have other stores that you would like me to add, please let me know.)

{3} I spoke about Catalina coupons above, but ONE thing you should also know is that MOST of the drugstore chains AND some grocery stores have their own little Register Rewards {RR}, in which you can earn MONEY towards your next purchase. (Like I did with the Hershey's, AND like what I will be showing you tomorrow). They are Catalinas, too... just for THAT store. {Recently I received a $5 and $7 off from Target; $5 gift card from Krogers, AND $18 from Walgreens. Nice, right?}

{4} Many stores send out their "own" coupons in their sale flyers. Most grocery store ads come out Wednesday and run through the following Tuesday. Krogers comes out in the Sunday paper. {I've been gone from home too long to know if any grocery stores have ads that come out on Sunday.} Walgreens, Target, RiteAid, CVS are all types of drugstores that have coupons in their Sunday/Wednesday ads (usually).

{5} Store card savings. You know what those are, right? The little key tag or card that you carry around with you so you get the BEST deals. A little know fact, though, is that at some stores you can LOAD additional savings to your card either through a kiosk at the store, OR at your stores online site.

{6} You can PRINT coupons from the web. YES, you read correctly. Print them from the internet. You can find an abundant here at Print.Coupons.com where you just enter your zipcode, and you will find the coupons that are offered for your area. YOU can change the zipcode, to see if you can find a product coupon available in another area. You can also find them at REDPLUM, as well as Smart Source. You can EVEN order already clipped or whole inserts from clipping services. (You are paying them for their time, not for the coupon because that would be illegal. We will get into that in the upcoming weeks)

{7} Do you have a specific BRAND that you like, and can't live without? Check out their website. MANY companies offer coupons, especially when you send them a kind note letting them know your brand loyal to them, and you can ask for coupons if available. Keep in mind, not all companies will send freebees. Have you seen updates occassionally from me, "liking" something on facebook? It's usually because there are coupons involved. I don't mind. Afterward, I usually go in and delete the post update, but I still got my coupon.

{8} IF you don't have brand loyalty to a product, don't be afraid to TRY new things. Often it can save you MONEY. And that's why we are doing this, right?? To save us money. There are coupons out there that if you buy a certain brand of spaghetti sauce you then get the STORE brand of spaghetti for free. (This one is VERY popular, so be on the look out for it!)

{9} SMARTPHONES: I almost for got to mention to USE your smartphone to find apps that offer coupons. We have iphones. Target now has a coupon app that sends out coupons that the cashier just scans your phone, and WAHLAH... instant savings! Cellfire is another app. I am JUST starting so I don't know all apps that are available, but I wanted to give you that resource tip so you can find the ones that will work best for you and your family!

{10} Lastly, by COMBINING the store coupon with the manufacturer coupon you will save more money. It's not rocket science. Unfortunately, it takes alot of time to gather all the information that you will need. The good thing is that there is an ABUNDANT of resources out there that I will be sharing with you, so you can get the BEST deals.

So what do you say? Are you TRULY wanting to save? Because first and foremost, You have to WANT to save!!

Tomorrow we will be discussing just how I MADE money at Walgreens with Sunday's purchases, and a little bit of the lingo that goes along with couponing.

I will make it clear, I am not a professional couponer, despite what Linda Palmer may think! ;o) {love ya!} BUT I do want to share my knowledge that I am accumulating with you all. I am not a coupon hoarder. I am not going to go on TLC's extreme couponing show and clear the shelves. I think it's wrong. AND I also think that buying 2000 tooth brushes is wrong. You do NOT need a stockpile that large. IF you are willing to donate to the military both overseas and at home, go for it. BUT, just because YOU can, doesn't mean you should.

I'm sure that I have missed an item or two, but if I think of anything else, I will be sure to update.

**UPDATE**

**I forgot to mention KMART!  I was reminded of their store coupons because I hadn't finished going through the paper yet. SO, if your Kmart is awesome, don't forget to utilize them, as well. **

**Tomorrow we will also be going over Store policies**

IT IS ALSO WRONG TO USE A COUPON FOR ANYTHING OTHER THAN WHAT IT IS INTENDED FOR. IT IS FRAUD. YOU CAN GO TO JAIL {Jaime}.

As always, please leave a comment on this post so I know who my audience is. Better yet, FOLLOW me. IF I reach {100} followers by the end of April, I will be holding a giveaway! For FREE!! Don't be hogging all the money saving tips for yourself~ refer your friends to my blog! ;o)

be blessed!

t

No comments: